2021 Ottavino St. Laurent (red)
Shalini Sekhar is one of my favorite winemakers. She makes Pinot Noir for one of my favorite labels but also has her own label "Ottavino" where she focuses on Austrian varietals. Her Gruner is a lovely food-pairing white and this year she's just released her first red: made with the St Laurent grape! St Laurent is a dark skinned aromatic varietal that is an offspring of Pinot Noir. It is originally from Austria where it is the 3rd most planted variety. It is rather obscure world-wide, so don't beat yourself up if you haven't heard of it! But now you need to try it!
- Color: Gorgeous color! Very intense ruby to this wine, medium opaque.
- Aroma: Intense aroma of blueberries, black cherries, strawberries, cranberry-orange, lavender, rose petal, bakings spices with slight notes of bramble.
- Structure: Medium body, medium+ acidity, very light approachable tannins, medium finish.
- Flavors: All the same as on the nose with some cocoa and blackberry flavor to boot.
- Overall impressions: This is a sophisticated wine with some punch; it's as if Pinot Noir and Syrah had a baby. It was powerful and spicy yet delicate and velvety. I really loved this wine!
Learn about this wine! Click here for tech specs.
Club Members: Shipping will be refunded for local pickup/delivery or adjusted to be $5 if you bundle this with your club shipment.