Gold Country Wine Getaway: Murphys CA
A very fun location to visit in California without fighting the traffic & crowds to Napa is Murphys. Murphys? Yes. Don't worry, I hadn't heard of either but after getting glowing recommendations from some others, I thought I'd better check it out
Some tips for visiting Murphys
- there are A LOT of tasting rooms on the main strip, plan to walk, it's very doable
- most businesses shut down Tue & Wed so plan ahead!
- check out Mercer Caverns if you like to explore
- @jomas_artisan_ice_cream is a must-stop in the summer!
- Tuesday blues? Swing by @hoveywinery for Taco Tuesday 5-7p in the lawn!
- when in doubt, the @murphys.pourhouse has you covered with a great beer selection, sandwiches and best of all, trivia night Wednesdays @ 6pm!
Recommended Wineries (walk-ins welcome)@newsomeharlowwines was our most memorable tasting experience for the wines and the service, the winemaker's daughter Sydney is a HOOT if you're lucky enough to visit when she's pouring. I really liked the Viognier and the Rough & Tumble Chard. But Carignane was a delight as well.
@lavenderridgevineyard and Broll Mountain Vineyards directly across the street from one another and share a winemaker. Both feature French varietals and some hard to find single varietals if you're interested: Alicante Bouche, Roussanne, etc. My only complaint is the Lavender Ridge tasting room is adorned with ... well, lavender which is so aromatic it interferes with the tasting experience a bit. But they make up for it by offering a cheese pairing.
@hatcherwinery is a bit hard to find as it's tucked down some steps in a back alley. Worth it once you get there! I loved the Zin Estate and Ruby Port.
Tanner winery had a decent mix of wines and nice tasting experience. I liked the sparkling rose.
Cheers y'all! 🥂